Personal Development, Health and Physical Education (PDHPE) develops the knowledge, skills and attitudes students need to lead healthy, active and fulfilling lives.
Students learn about the importance of good food and regular exercise. They learn how bodies grow and change over time. They learn skills to play individual and team sports, and the values of sportsmanship and teamwork.
In our rapidly changing society there is increasing community awareness of the importance of healthy lifestyles. The resultant good health is characterised by improved quality of life, less sickness and disability, happier personal, family and social experiences and the opportunity to make choices in work and recreation.
PDHPE is an important key learning area within the primary curriculum as it:
- Encourages an understanding and valuing of self and others
- Promotes physical activity
- Emphasises informed decision-making leading to effective and responsible action
More specifically, the study of PDHPE is concerned with:
- Physical, social, cognitive and emotional growth and development patterns
- The development and maintenance of positive interpersonal relationships
- The factors influencing personal health choices
- Living and learning in a safe and secure environment
- The adoption of an active lifestyle
- Fundamental movement patterns and coordinated actions of the body
- Skills that enable action for better health and movement outcomes